Echarlens, Switzerland - 2011
The Kamm house is a beautiful farm that was rebuilt after a fire in 1850, for a notary who set up his study upstairs.
This house is entirely made of wood: a wooden structure covered with a wooden cladding. In 1950, that cladding was covered with a layer of fake wood, without insulation.
This layer was demolished to recover the original house, that was then insulated using aerogel. A layer of insulation was also added to the roof.
More performant windows were placed, respecting the original aspects of the ones that were taken down.
Theses insulation measures allowed to reduce the heat loss through the envelope and to install a heat pump as a warming solution.